It’s spring—and in alternative health circles, that means it’s time for detoxing, cleansing and fasting.
It seems that everywhere I look—whether it’s in magazines, bookstores, or CVS— someone is trying to sell me a fasting system or detox kit. While these products and systems may have their benefits, weight loss is not one of them. I repeat—these systems will not help you achieve your weight goals. In fact, they will more likely contribute to further imbalance, which will result in weight gain in the long term.
The concept of cleansing ourselves in the spring is a good one, though. Taking some time to reset our mental and physical palates is incredibly beneficial. We take a couple of weeks to take less in, simplify and rest. This will leave us feeling clear-headed and reduce our cravings for food that imbalances us.
So my sugestion for a spring cleanse looks like this:
– Take a two week period to do your cleanse.
– Simplify your diet: cook at home and eat only delicious home-cooked meals. Bring food to work as well.
– Make no social plans—instead, leave time for yourself to do things that relax you. Hot baths, walking, and gardening come to mind.
– if you can, eliminate alcohol, coffee, and sugar from your diet. If you can’t, reduce to a bare minimum.
– Read something you enjoy every day.
– Practice yoga daily, but keep it fun and easy.
– Watch no tv, and take in no news. (Occasional movies are okay)
– Listen to music if you enjoy it.
– If it feels right, spend some time cleaning or organizing your home so it feels better to you.
– Have the intention to find joy in every day
After two weeks, your palate will be clearer and you will be able to make decisions from a more balanced, peaceful place.
As always, email me with questions or comments.
loka samasta sukino bhavantu
May we all be peaceful and happy